Abel Tasman Coastal Run
Something for everyone: run, walk, kayak or relax. Meet up at Beachfront Lodges. Spectacular scenery to unwind, inspire and rejuvenate.
New Zealand’s top coastal running trail - scenic Abel Tasman. Experience this ‘must do’ trail run yourself on our 3 Day Guided Run. With alternate activities for non-runners, you can share your running passion with family and friends.
Three days of coastal, beach and forest trail running at its best. Up to 20 km (12 miles) per day.
- Run at pace, or at leisure.
- Soak up the scenic beauty of the Abel Tasman.
- Indulge yourself in the highlights of this popular Great Walk.
- Revive at our Beachfront Lodges.
Guided running is at a leisurely training pace, with frequent breaks to enjoy and photograph the stunning landscapes along the coast. We expect a 20km run to take 4-5 hours to complete (including breaks).
If you would like a more strenuous run, your Guide will help you plan a day to extend your fitness with an unguided run.
Click on the itinerary tab above for details of the trail run from Totaranui to Marahau, including the course of the Abel Tasman Coastal Classic and more.
Other OptionsWe Operate These Options:
Before you arrive: Please call our office toll free 0800 221 888 to reconfirm details of your pick-up location and dietary requirements. We want to make sure we have everything just right for you.
Your luggage: If you let us know where you are staying in Nelson, your complimentary Lodge Luggage Bag (to be transported to our lodges by boat) will be delivered to your accommodation. If you are arriving in the region on the morning of your trip with us, your Lodge Luggage bag will be available at our Motueka office, with time to repack.
Secure luggage storage for gear you don't want in the National Park, and a safe for valuables is available at our Motueka office.
On the morning of your departure we pick you up from your accommodation or, if you have your own car, we’ll direct you to safe parking from our office in Motueka. Day Packs are available to borrow here if you would like one.
Day 1: Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Anapai
Meals included: Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – from Nelson 1½ hours, from Motueka 20 mins
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1 Hour, 20 mins
Run 3-5 hours (up to 20km, 12 miles)
Maximum elevation 85 m (280 ft)
- Pick up Nelson (7.15-7.30 am) or Motueka (8.30 am) or if you are self driving meet at our office by 8.30 am.
- Meet your guide at our Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 9.30 am: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a scenic cruise along the National Park coastline. Hot & cold drinks, open and enclosed viewing decks and bathroom facilities on board.
- 11.30: Arrive at Totaranui.
Section 1: minimum 6kms (4 miles)
- 12 noon: Start the run from Totaranui to Anapai (2 km) or run further north along the coastal track if you want. Return to Totaranui via the Pukatea Loop (add 2 km)
Section 2: 5 kms (3.5 miles)
- Run through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- At around 5 pm, be welcomed with pre-dinner drinks and food served by your hosts at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa.
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner
Run 3-5 hours (16 kms, 10 miles)
Section 1: 4 kms (2.5 miles) Max elevation 85 m (280 ft)
- 8 am (approx.) leave Awaroa to run through native forest with magnificent coastal views, then along the golden sands of Onetahuti Beach.
- Continue on to explore the historic sites and picturesque golden cove of Tonga Quarry beach.
Section 2: 7 kms (4.4 miles) Max elevation 120 m (400 ft)
- From Tonga Quarry, run over a forested saddle and around the Waterfall Trail to Bark Bay.
- Midday, stop for lunch at Bark Bay, taking time out to relax, explore, swim or sunbathe on the golden sands.
Section 3: 7 kms (4.4 miles) Max elevation 105 m (340 ft)
- From Bark Bay, run through the most varied section the coastal track as it winds through shady gullies of mature Beech forest, fern grottos and sunny groves of Manuka framing coastal vistas.
- Cross the swing bridge at Falls River and continue on to Torrent Bay.
- A welcome awaits at Torrent Bay Lodge for an evening of leisure right on the beachfront.
For the really energetic, a pre-dinner run can be arranged with your Guide.
Day 3: Torrent Bay Marahau then Motueka or Nelson
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch
Run 2-4 hours (16 kms, 10 miles) Optional 4km extension around the Pit Head loop.
Maximum elevation 110 m (360 ft)
Scenic drive Marahau/Kaiteriteri to Motueka (20 mins) or Nelson (1 hour)
- From 8 am (approx.) Run the final section of the track, arriving at Marahau for lunch.
- Our coach meets you at Marahau to return to Motueka (1.30pm) or Nelson (3.30pm).
Please see our Terms and Conditions