The Great Taste Trio Cycling
Cycle, Walk, Kayak. Experience Tasman's Great Taste Trail and Abel Tasman National Park.
- Best For: Three courses of a delicious region
- Start: Nelson
- Finish: Nelson
- Cost: $2190 5 Days/4nights ($2050 cycle/walk option)
Save up to $200 on departures in April and October
The Pleasure Seeker's Triathlon
Tasman's Great Taste Trail and Abel Tasman National Park
Cycling, walking and sea kayaking with The Gentle Cycling Company and Wilsons Abel Tasman requires only enough activity to justify indulging in the region’s delights.
You have two and a half days to cycle the Tasman Great Taste Trail coastal route from Nelson to Kaiteriteri. The Gentle Cycling company arranges everything for you with ample opportunity to appreciate spectacular coastal scenery, artistic communities, vineyards, orchard and breweries along the way.
From Kaiteriteri, start your 3 or 5-day journey along the Abel Tasman coast track staying at two Beachfront Lodges: Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa and Torrent Bay Lodge, hosted by Wilsons Abel Tasman. Guides, Lodge and Boat Hosts help you plan each day so you get to choose how active you want to be with walking, sea kayaking and boat cruising options.
No strenuous training is required. All you have to do is get to Nelson with an appetite for exploration. The Gentle Cycling Company and Wilsons Abel Tasman take care of the details from there so you get to switch off and enjoy.
Click on the Itinerary tab above for full details.
Contact Us to book.
Other OptionsWe Operate These Options:
Day 1 Nelson to Mapua
Cycle 22kms (14 miles): Great Taste Trail (Grade: easy)
Includes bike hike, trail maps with route notes, luggage transfers, accommodation in Mapua.
9.30am: Shuttle transfer from Nelson central to our cycle specialists for your pre-ride briefing. Pick up your 21-speed comfort bike with fitting and adjustment to suit you. Luggage will be transported to your accommodation in Mapua.
Head off on Tasman’s Great Taste Trail taking in the highlights of your choice
- Beach-side cycling
- Quirky cafés
- Vineyards with wine tasting and food
- Boutique breweries with beer and food to match
- Arts and crafts to inspire
Around lunch time cross the Mapua estuary from Rabbit Island to Mapua Wharf. Relax and explore the vibrant Mapua community including bars, cafes, restaurants, museums and galleries.
3.00 - 4.00 pm: check in at your accommodation in the heart of the village.
Choose your dining style in Mapua (additional cost). There is casual or fine dining on the wharf or on the beach. Boutique bars have social and relaxed dining.
Day 2 Mapua to Motueka
Cycle 26kms (16 miles): Great Taste Trail (Grade: easy & intermediate)
Includes breakfast, bike hire, trail maps with route notes, luggage transfers, accommodation in Motueka
As discussed during your pre-tour brief, your day can include:
- Orchards, vineyards and market gardens set in rolling hills with panoramic coastal views.
- Quirky cafes, restaurants and bars featuring different life-style choices and scenery
- Local arts and crafts
- Optional detour to Kina Peninsula (approximately 5 km) arts and vineyards
- Motueka foreshore
- Raumanuka Reserve and sandspit
Call into Wilsons Abel Tasman Motueka Office (any time up to 6 pm) to confirm your arrangements for the following day. Their overnight Lodge Luggage bags will be delivered to your overnight accommodation in Motueka.
3.00-4.00 pm: check in at your accommodation located in the heart of town, close to dinner venues.
Dinner: Choose a café, bar or restaurant in Motueka (own cost).
Day 3 Motueka - Kaiteriteri - Totatanui - Awaroa
Cycle 17.5kms (10 miles): Great Taste Trail Motueka to Kaiteriteri (Grade: easy & intermediate)
Cruise 1 Hour, 20 Mins: Abel Tasman coast Kaiteriteri to Totaranui:
Walk 7 kms (4.5 miles): Abel Tasman Coast Track, Totaranui to Awaroa
Includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, luggage and bike transfers, beachfront lodge accommodation at Awaroa
- Cycle the Great Taste Trail from Motueka passing tidal inlets, orchards, cafes and a boutique brewery in the rural town of Riwaka.
- The final section of the Great Taste Trail is a 3.1 km “Easy Rider” trail through Kaiteriteri's Mountain Bike Park, weaving through forest to the golden sands of Kaiteriteri. Vehicle support is available for any cyclists who wish to avoid this section.
- 12.30 pm: Meet your cycling support team at Kaiteriteri and transfer to your Wilsons Abel Tasman Guide for your pre-trip briefing, with time for last-minute luggage organisation.
- 1.00 pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a fast, safe, comfortable cruise along the National Park coastline. Hot & cold drinks, open and enclosed viewing decks and bathroom facilities on board.
- From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- Around 5 pm: Be welcomed with pre-dinner drinks and food by your hosts at Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa, a faithful re-creation of the Wilson family’s original home on the finest site in the bay.
Day 4 Awaroa to Torrent Bay
Walk 5 kms (3 miles): Awaroa to Onetahuti
Sea Kayak 10 km (6 miles): Onetahuti (Tonga Beach) to Torrent Bay
Includes Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner, kayak gear, luggage transfers, accommodation in Torrent Bay.
Includes Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner, beachfront lodge accommodation
Maximum walking time
This day consists of three sections. With Vista Cruise back-up you can choose to do less walking or paddling.
Section 1: Walk 4 kms (2.5 miles) Max elevation 85 m (280 ft)
- Approx 9.00 am leave Awaroa to walk over the Tonga Saddle to Onetahuti beach where your kayaks will be waiting.
- Your Guide will settle you into your kayaks for a full training session. You do not leave the beach until your Guide is satisfied you can safely negotiate the coast in your kayak.
- Leave Onetahuti for a morning of beach hopping down the coast, taking in points of interest: Bark Bay, Falls River, Frenchman’s Bay.
- If conditions allow, visit the seal colony at Tonga Island. Watch out for new-born pups in December and January.
- Cruising past Tonga Quarry and the Tonga Arches, your Guide will explain the history of this granite area, pointing out some of the features and quarry relics.
- Midday, stop for lunch at one of the idyllic bays along the coastline and take time out to relax, explore, swim or sunbathe on the golden sand.
- Around 4.30pm: A welcome awaits at Torrent Bay Lodge, right on the beachfront. This was the Wilson family’s holiday home, now tastefully extended and renovated to include all modern comforts whist keeping its relaxed, beach holiday atmosphere
Day 5 Torrent Bay to Motueka / Nelson
Kayak 12 kms: Torrent Bay to Marahau/Kaiteriteri
Scenic Drive Marahau/Kaiteriteri to Motueka (30 mins) or Nelson (2 hours)
Includes Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, kayak gear, luggage transfers, return transport to Motueka or Nelson.
- Paddling along the coast, discover the pristine bays, beaches and islands named by French explorer, Dumont D’Urville in 1827.
- Stop for lunch at any one of the bays, then continue on to Marahau or Kaiteriteri (tide and weather dependent).
Our Coach meets you to return to Motueka (4.30pm) or Nelson (5.30pm)
Early return: We can arrange an earlier return to Nelson to suit ongoing travel arrangements if required.
Kayaking is optional
If you would prefer to walk the coastal track, with no kayaking, cost of the trip is reduced by $140 per person.
Add Two Extra Days in Abel Tasman National Park
Explore areas most visitors don't get to see, with 2 nights at each of our Beachfront Lodges. For more details, see our 5-Day Kayak & Walk Break.