3 Day Kayak & Walk Break
Kayak the sheltered southern coast. Walk the isolated northern beaches. You choose how much kayaking or walking you want to do.
- Best For: One night at each Lodge, combining kayaking and walking
- Cost: Adult $1595, Child (12-14 yrs) $1257, Shoulder Season Rates save $150 per adult
Combine the best of everything in only three days. Walk the isolated northern beaches and lush forest between Totaranui and Onetahuti. Kayak the sheltered waters between Onetahuti and Kaiteriteri.
3 Day Walks and 3 Day Kayak & Walk options travel together, with one night at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa and one night at Torrent Bay Lodge. Your group can book different types of trip for the same departure day.
All you have to do is get to Nelson. Then let us take care of the details.
Day 1: Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
All aboard our Vista Cruise vessel! As we cruise from Kaiteriteri at the southern tip of the Park, north to Totaranui we echo the contours of the spectacular Abel Tasman coastline. Relax on the upper or lower viewing decks and enjoy a hot drink from the cafe. From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the breathtaking expanse of the Awaroa inlet. Here, a warm kiwi welcome awaits you at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa, a faithful re-creation of the Wilson family's original home on the "finest site in the bay".
- Pick up Nelson (10.15 - 10.45 am) or Motueka (11.30 am) or if you are self driving please meet at our office by 11.30 am. Wednesday departures and some low season departures have an earlier start. See Start/Finish Times (below) for more details.
- Meet your guide at our Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 1.00 pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a fast, safe, comfortable cruise along the National Park coastline. Hot & cold drinks, open and enclosed viewing decks and bathroom facilities on board.
- From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- At Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa, right on the edge of the inlet, you’ll be welcomed with pre-dinner drinks and fine food. Here you’ll find comfortable accommodation full of history and kiwi charm.
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri from Nelson (1 hour) or Motueka (20 mins)
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1.5 hours
Walk - 2.5 hours (7 kms, 4.5 miles) including tidal crossing
Maximum elevation 60 m (200 ft)
Meals included: Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
Wake to breakfast overlooking the gardens of Meadowbank Homestead, watching the movement of the tides over golden sands. Walk with your Guide to the golden expanse of Onetahuti Beach then paddle to Torrent Bay, through Tonga Island Marine Reserve and exploring hidden inlets along the way.
- 9.30 am, depart Awaroa for the scenic walk over the Tonga Saddle to Onetahuti. Here, your guide will settle you into your kayaks with full training and safety brief. Don’t worry, you won’t leave the beach until your guide is satisfied you can safely negotiate the coast in your kayak. (If you are a travelling on your own, your Guide will find a suitable paddling partner for you).
- Weather permitting, there’s the opportunity to visit the Seal Colony on Tonga Island where New Zealand fur seals breed. It’s often possible to spot new-born pups here in December and January.
- Enjoy the sensation of paddling through the clear turquoise waters of the Park as we cruise past Tonga Quarry and the Tonga Arches, where your guide will explain the history of this granite area, pointing out some of the unusual natural features and relics from the historic quarry.
- Midday, stop for lunch at sheltered Bark Bay, where you can take time out to explore, swim or relax on the golden sand
- After lunch, we continue our paddle, beach hopping along the coast with picture-postcard views, including the Falls River and Frenchman’s Bay,
- At around 4.30 pm paddle into Torrent Bay to be welcomed with refreshments and a hot shower in your ensuite room.
Walk Awaroa to Onetahuti 1.5 hours (5 kms, 3 miles)
Max elevation 85 m (280 ft)
Sea Kayak Onetahuti to Torrent Bay 4 hours (10 kms, 6 miles)
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner
Day 3: Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri
Wake up to morning light on the golden sands of Torrent Bay and perhaps a coffee on the deck before a hearty home-cooked breakfast to set you up for another day of scenic paddling.
- Around 9.30 am we leave Torrent Bay by kayak and glide southwards along the coast, to discover the pristine bays and beaches named by French Explorer, Dumont D'urville in 1827.
- Paddle the idyllic waters of Te Pukatea Bay. In the sheltered Astrolabe Roadstead, paddle along the picturesque coast of Adele Island, now a predator-free sanctuary ringing with birdsong.
- If the wind is with you, your guide will help you hoist a specially designed sail so you can ride the sea breeze.
- We’ll stop for lunch and a rest at any one of the bays, before we continue our journey through azure waters to the famous Kaiteriteri beach, where our driver will be waiting to meet you for the return journey to Motueka (4.30 pm) or Nelson (5.30 - 6.00 pm).**
Sea Kayak Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri 4.5 hours (12 kms)
Scenic drive Kaiteriteri to Motueka (20 mins) or Nelson (1 hour)
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch
This itinerary is reversed for Wednesday departures. Click Here for Details
The direction of this trip may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up in Nelson (7.15 - 7.40 am) and Motueka (8.15 am).
The earlier pick-up applies to most Wednesday departures and all departures after NZ daylight savings time finishes at the beginning of April.
If Start/Finish times don't suit your itinerary, please contact us to make alternative arrangements. All our itineraries can be flexible to accommodate your needs or schedule.
Please confirm the start/finish time with us before you book connecting airline flights.
Important Additional Information:
Walking/kayaking each day is optional. You are welcome to travel on any of our scheduled ferry services. This flexibility is perfect for couples or groups with different interests and abilities. Our 3 Day Walking Break runs at the same time as our 3 Day Kayak & Walk Break, so members of your traveling party can choose different options.
We reserve the right to alter itineraries, timetables and vessel types. All travel subject to weather and tides which may cause delay/cancellation. This itinerary is reversed for Wednesday departures.
*LOW SEASON ITINERARY
From May to November the itinerary above might be altered to make the most of our winter sunshine, with 2 night's accommodation at Torrent Bay Lodge. Low Season Itinerary here.
Online booking is available for most departures during our high season. If you are unable to book your preferred departure online, please contact us to check availability and itinerary details. To Book Online and hold your place without full payment, please complete the booking without payment. We we will contact you for NZ$100 deposit to secure your booking.
Prices valid to 30 Sept 2019. Click here for Shoulder Season prices.
Children under 12 years: If an exclusive Kayak guide is hired for your child/family we can relax the age limit down to 10 years and the trip can then be modified to suit your abilities and interests. Please contact us to arrange this.
Southound Departures (Totaranui to Marahau) every Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Northbound Departure (Marahau to Totaranui) every Wednesday
Direction of travel is designed to use resources most efficiently at our Lodges. The only difference to your experience is an earlier start time for Northbound trips.
All departures are year-round, subject to availability and can be reversed to suit conditions. Special itineraries can be arranged if our scheduled departures don't suit you. Please contact us for details.