Ruth Pretty's Abel Tasman
Gain insights into stylish wilderness cooking and share an adventure with like-minded travellers.
- Availability: 28 March 2016
- Duration: 3-Day trip
- Start: March 28
- Finish: March 30
- Cost: $1,400 per adult all inclusive
Take a journey with Ruth Pretty and her protégé, Craig Wilson, to discover civilised adventure in Abel Tasman National Park. Ruth's husband, Paul Pretty, will assist you with wine tasting to pick the ideal match with your meal.
On this 3-Day Break, reserved for fans of Ruth Pretty Catering, you stay one night at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa and one night at Torrent Bay Lodge. You can choose to walk up an appetite, or relax at the Lodge and pick up some ideas from Ruth and Craig as they discuss his menus. Then, chat with Ruth and Paul over dinner.
Click on the Itinerary Tab (above) for more details, then contact us to book your ideal foodie's holiday.
Freephone: 0800 223 5827
From Nelson return to Nelson, all transport, accommodation, food and luggage transfers are included. The only additional cost is beverages from our in-house bar. We keep a record of your bar tab and you can pay by cash or credit card at the end of your trip.
Before you arrive: Please call Wilsons Abel Tasman office toll free 0800 221 888 to reconfirm details of your pick-up location and dietary requirements. We want to make sure we have everything just right for you.
Your luggage: Let Wilsons Abel Tasman know where you are staying the night before your trip and they will deliver your complimentary Lodge Luggage Bag to be transported to the lodges by boat. If you are arriving in the region on the morning of your trip, your Lodge Luggage bag will be available at the Motueka office, with time to repack.
Secure luggage storage for gear you don't want in the National Park, and a safe for valuables is available in Motueka.
On the morning of your departure we pick you up from your accommodation or, if you have your own car, we’ll direct you to safe parking from our office in Motueka. Day Packs are available to borrow here if you would like one.
Day 1: Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
A scenic drive through the coastal vineyards and market gardens of Tasman Bay takes you to Kaiteriteri. All aboard the Vista Cruise to travel with style and comfort to the southern tip of the Park at Totaranui. Relax on the upper or lower viewing decks and enjoy a hot drink from the cafe.You can choose to walk from Totaranui to Awaroa, or stay aboard the boat to disembark at Awaroa for a warm kiwi welcome at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa. This is a faithful re-creation of the Wilson family's original home on the "finest site in the bay", now rebuilt to include all modern comforts with ensuite rooms.
- Pick up Nelson (10.30 - 11.00 am) or Motueka (11.40 am) or if you are self driving please meet at Wilsons Abel Tasman office by 11.45 am.
- Meet your guide at the Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 1.00 pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri, arrives 2.30 pm
- From Totaranui, if you choose to walk, your Guide takes you through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast for your welcome at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa, right on the edge of the inlet.
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – from Nelson 1 hours, from Motueka 20 mins
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1.5 hours.
Walk - 2 hours (6 kms, 3.7 miles) including tidal crossing
Maximum elevation 60 m (200 ft)
Meals included: Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
After a relaxing night’s sleep and home-cooked breakfast overlooking the gardens by the sea at Meadowbank, you’ll be ready for your scenic day walk to Torrent Bay. If you're not feeling energetic, your Guide will arrange for a boat ride so can choose the amount of walking to suit.
Section 1: 5 km (3 miles) Max elevation 85 m (280 ft)
- 9 am (approx.) leave Awaroa to enjoy a morning walking through native forest with magnificent coastal views, then walk along the golden sands of Onetahuti Beach.
- Continue on to explore the historic sites and picturesque golden cove of Tonga Quarry beach.
Section 2: 4km (2.5 miles) Max elevation 120 m (400 ft)
- From Tonga Quarry, walk over a forested saddle and around the Waterfall Trail to Bark Bay.
- Midday, stop for lunch at Bark Bay, taking time out to relax, explore, swim or sunbathe on the golden sands.
Section 3: 7 kms (4.4 miles) Max elevation 105 m (340 ft)
- From Bark Bay, walk the most varied section the coastal track as it winds through shady gullies of mature Beech forest, fern grottos and sunny groves of Manuka framing coastal vistas.
- Cross the swing bridge at Falls River and continue on to Torrent Bay.
- Around 4.30 pm: A welcome awaits at Torrent Bay Lodge, right on the beachfront. This was the Wilson family’s holiday home, now tastefully extended and renovated to include all modern comforts whist keeping its relaxed, beach holiday atmosphere.
- 11.50 am, board the Vista catamaran at Tonga Quarry. Cruise to Bark Bay to join the rest of your group for lunch or continue on to Torrent Bay.
- 3.00 pm, board the Vista catamaran at Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) to cruise to Torrent Bay.
After your day of walking or relaxing, pre-dinner drinks and snacks are served at Torrent Bay Lodge on the sun deck beside the beach. Swap stories with your fellow travellers, chat with Ruth and Paul, then be lulled to sleep by the tides on your own ensuite room.
Maximum total Walking time: 7 hours (16 kms, 10 miles)
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner
Day 3: Torrent Bay to Motueka/Nelson
Wake up to morning light on the golden sands of Torrent Bay and perhaps a coffee on the deck before breakfast. Then on your final day, walk the easiest section of the coastal track from Torrent Bay to Marahau, with panaromic views across Tasman Bay to Nelson. Along the way you’ll rediscover the pristine bays and beaches named by French Explorer, Dumont D'Urville in 1827.
- Depart Torrent Bay Lodge at about 9.00 am
- Around midday, stop for lunch at a sheltered beach with views of the islands in the Astrolabe Roadstead.
- Our driver meets you at Marahau (or Kaiteriteri) to return you to Motueka (4.30pm) or Nelson (5.30pm)**.
For less walking time:
- Join the Vista Cruise at Torrent Bay, Anchorage beach or Apple Tree Bay to return to Kaiteriteri.
Walk 4-5 hours, depending on tides (13 - 16 kms, 8 - 10 miles)
Maximum elevation 110 m (360 ft)
Scenic drive Marahau/Kaiteriteri to Motueka (20 mins) or Nelson (1 hour)
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch