3 Day Guided Walking Break
You choose how much walking. Your Guide designs each day around complex tides and weather. Relax with safety back-up on the track.
- Best For: Discover a landscape full of stories with your professional Guide.
- Cost: *per Adult $1470, per Child (8-14 yrs) $1030, Shoulder Season Rates save $150 per adult
Take three days to walk the coastal track between Marahau and Totaranui. To help you relax and revive, full boat back-up allows you to choose how much walking suits you each day.
3 Day Walks and 3 Day Kayak & Walk options travel together, with one night at Meadowbank Homestead At Awaroa and one night at Torrent Bay Lodge. Your group can book different types of trip for the same departure day.
All you have to do is get to Nelson. Then let us take care of the details.
*Single travellers might share a room another person of the same gender. To guarantee a room to yourself, a single supplement applies. Please contact us for details.
Day 1: Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
All aboard our Vista Cruise vessel! As we cruise from Kaiteriteri at the southern tip of the Park, north to Totaranui we echo the contours of the spectacular Abel Tasman coastline. Relax on the upper or lower viewing decks and enjoy a hot drink from the cafe. From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the breathtaking expanse of the Awaroa inlet. Then, welcome to Meadowbank Homestead At Awaroa, a faithful re-creation of the Wilson family's original home on the "finest site in the bay".
- Pick up Nelson (10.15 - 10.45 am) or Motueka (11.30 am) or if you are self driving please meet at our office by 11.30 am. Wednesday departures and some low season departures have an earlier start. See Start/Finish Times (below) for more details.
- Meet your guide at our Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 1.00 pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a fast, safe, comfortable cruise along the National Park coastline. Hot & cold drinks, open and enclosed viewing decks and bathroom facilities on board.
- From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- Meadowbank Homestead At Awaroa sits right on the edge of the inlet. Here, you’ll be welcomed with pre-dinner drinks, fine food, and comfortable accommodation full of history and kiwi charm.
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – from Nelson 1 hours, from Motueka 20 mins
Vista Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1.5 hours.
Walk - 2.5 hours (7 kms, 4.5 miles) including tidal crossing
Maximum elevation 100 metres (340 ft)
Meals included: Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
After a relaxing night’s sleep and home-cooked breakfast overlooking the gardens by the sea at Meadowbank, you’ll be ready for your scenic day walk to Torrent Bay. If you're not feeling energetic, your Guide will arrange for a boat ride so can choose the amount of walking to suit.
Section 1: Awaroa to Onetahuti and Tonga Quarry 6 km (3.5 miles) Max elevation 85 m (280 ft)
- 9 am (approx.) leave Awaroa to enjoy a morning walking through native forest with magnificent coastal views, then walk along the golden sands of Onetahuti Beach.
- Continue on to explore the historic sites and picturesque golden cove of Tonga Quarry beach.
Section 2: Tonga Quarry to Bark Bay 4km (2.5 miles) Max elevation 120 m (400 ft)
- From Tonga Quarry, walk over a forested saddle and around the Waterfall Trail to Bark Bay.
- Midday, stop for lunch at Bark Bay, taking time out to relax, explore, swim or sunbathe on the golden sands.
Section 3: Bark Bay to Torrent Bay 7 kms (4.4 miles) Max elevation 105 m (340 ft)
- From Bark Bay, walk the most varied section the coastal track as it winds through shady gullies of mature Beech forest, fern grottos and sunny groves of Manuka framing coastal vistas.
- Cross the swing bridge at Falls River and continue on to Torrent Bay.
- Around 4.30 pm: A welcome awaits at Torrent Bay Lodge, right on the beachfront. This was the Wilson family’s holiday home, now tastefully extended and renovated to include all modern comforts whist keeping its relaxed, beach holiday atmosphere.
- 11.50 am, board the Vista catamaran at Tonga Quarry. Cruise to Bark Bay to join the rest of your group for lunch or continue on to Torrent Bay.
- 3.00 pm, board the Vista catamaran at Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) to cruise to Torrent Bay.
Maximum total Walking time: 7 hours (17 kms, 10.5 miles)
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner
Day 3: Torrent Bay to Motueka/Nelson
Wake up to morning light on the golden sands of Torrent Bay and perhaps a coffee on the deck before breakfast. Then on your final day, walk the easiest section of the coastal track from Torrent Bay to Marahau, with panaromic views across Tasman Bay to Nelson. Along the way you’ll rediscover the pristine bays and beaches named by French Explorer, Dumont D'Urville in 1827.
- Depart Torrent Bay Lodge at about 9.00 am
- Around midday, stop for lunch at a sheltered beach with views of the islands in the Astrolabe Roadstead.
- Our driver meets you at Marahau (or Kaiteriteri) to Motueka (4.30 pm) or Nelson (5.30 - 6.00 pm)**.
For less walking time:
- Join the Vista Cruise at Torrent Bay, Anchorage beach or Apple Tree Bay to return to Kaiteriteri.
Walk 4-5 hours, depending on tides (13 - 16 kms, 8 - 10 miles)
Maximum elevation 110 m (360 ft)
Scenic drive Marahau/Kaiteriteri to Motueka (20 mins) or Nelson (1 hour)
Meals included: Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch
This itinerary is reversed for Wednesday departures. Click Here for Details
The direction of this trip may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up in Nelson (7.15 - 7.40 am) and Motueka (8.15 am).
The earlier pick-up applies to most Wednesday departures and all departures after NZ daylight savings time finishes at the beginning of April.
If Start/Finish times don't suit your itinerary, please contact us to make alternative arrangements. All our itineraries can be flexible to accommodate your needs or schedule.
Please confirm the start/finish time with us before you book connecting airline flights.
Important Additional Information:
Walking each day is optional. You are welcome to travel on any of our scheduled ferry services. This flexibility is perfect for couples or groups with different interests and abilities - some preferring to walk, others to take the boat between lodges. As our 3 Day Guided Walk runs at the same time as our 3 Day Guided Kayak & Walk break, some of your group can choose the Kayak & Walk option.
We reserve the right to alter itineraries, timetables and vessel types. All travel subject to weather and tides which may cause delay/cancellation.
*LOW SEASON ITINERARY
From May to November this itinerary might be altered to make the most of our winter sunshine, with 2 night's accommodation at Torrent Bay Lodge. Low Season Itinerary here.
Please see our Terms and Conditions
Online booking is available for most departures during our high season. If you are unable to book your preferred departure online, please contact us to check availability and itinerary details. To Book Online and hold your place without full payment, please complete the booking without payment. We we will contact you for NZ$100 deposit to secure your booking.
Want to walk unguided? Click here for details.
Southound Departures (Totaranui to Marahau) every Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Northbound Departure (Marahau to Totaranui) every Wednesday
Direction of travel is designed to use resources most efficiently at our Lodges. The only difference to your experience is an earlier start time for Northbound trips.
All departures are year-round, subject to availability and can be reversed to suit conditions. Special itineraries can be arranged if our scheduled departures don't suit you. Please contact us for details.