Torrent Bay Lodge based 3 Day Trip
Three Day/Two Night Torrent Bay Lodge Trip
Day 1 Nelson / Motueka to Torrent Bay via Tonga Island Marine Reserve
Approx times: Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – from Nelson 1¼ hours, from Motueka 20 mins
Scenic Cruise Kaiteriteri to Medlands Beach (2.5 hrs) or Tonga Quarry (1 hr 30 mins)
Walk option: Tonga Quarry (4 hrs, 10 kms) or Medlands Beach (2 hrs, 6 kms) to Torrent Bay
Kayak option;Tonga to Torrent Bay 4 hours (10 kms)
Includes Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner
- 7.15 - 7.30 am pick in Nelson.
- 8.30 am: meet your Guide(s) at our Motueka office. Time for last-minute luggage organisation.
- 9.20 am: Board your boat for a scenic cruise along the coast into Tonga Island Marine Reserve.
- 10.50 am disembark at Tonga Quarry. Kayakers walk 20 minutes to Onetahuti where your Guide introduces you to kayaking with full instructions and safety brief. Then, explore the spectacular golden coast by kayak, including viewing the seal colony on Tonga Island (weather permitting). Walkers follow the coastal track to Medlands Beach with their Guide, through lush native forest fringing panoramic coastal views.
- 12.00 midday: walkers choosing the 2 hour walk disembark at Medlands Beach after a scenic cruise to Totaranui. Then, relax or explore to meet up with other walkers and Guide before walking to Torrent Bay.
- Around 4.30-5.00 pm: Welcome to Torrent Bay Lodge with hot showers, food and beverages.
Day 2 Explore Torrent Bay
Includes Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Dinner.
A day of choices! Let your Guide help you design your day to be as active or relaxed as you wish.
- A walk through breathtaking first generation forest, up to the waterfalls on Falls River
- Walk or canoe (tide dependent) to Cleopatra’s Pool on the Torrent River.
- Walk to the protected golden beaches of Anchorage and Te Pukatea. Visit historic Maori sites at Pitt Head and listen to the birdsong in this land-island sanctuary.
- Relax at Torrent Bay Lodge, enjoying the beachfront setting.
Day 3 Torrent Bay to Motueka/Nelson
Approx times: Walk option: Torrent Bay to Marahau 4-5 hours, depending on tides (13 - 16 kms, 8 - 10 miles)
Kayak option; Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri or Marahau (depending on tides and weather) 4.5 hours (12 kms)
Scenic drive from Kaiteriteri or Marahau – to Motueka 20 mins or Nelson 1¼ hours
Includes Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch
Discuss options with your Guide to choose how much walking or kayaking you would like to include in your day. There is the option to relax and explore around Torrent Bay and catch a boat from Torrent Bay at 3.30 pm to return to Kaiteriteri at 4.10 pm
- 9.00 am depart Torrent Bay Lodge after a hearty breakfast.
- Kayakers explore the beaches and offshore islands of the Astrolabe Roadstead.
- Walkers follow the well-graded coastal track with spectacular views over the Astrolabe Roadstead towards Nelson.
- All options meet up in Marahau or Kaiteriteri to join our coach for transport back to our Motueka office at around 4.30 pm
- 5.30 pm return to Nelson
The direction of this trip might be reversed to suit weather conditions and tides.