Trail running at its finest along the well-formed Abel Tasman Coast Track with comfortable lodge accommodation.
Day 1: Nelson/Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
Board our comfortable Vista Cruise to travel the length of the golden Abel Tasman coast from Kaiteriteri north to Totaranui, relaxing on the viewing decks and enjoying refreshments from the cafe.
From Totaranui, choose to run north before heading south to Awaroa, or run the coastal trail from Totaranui to Awaroa.
Note: there is no high tide track around the Awaroa Inlet. If you will not reach the Inlet within 2 hours of low tide, discuss the options for boat transfers with your hosts.
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri – 1 hour from Nelson, or 20 mins from Motueka
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1 hour 40 mins
Minimum run Totaranui to Awaroa – 9km (5.5 miles) includes tidal crossing; maximum elevation 100m/340ft
Accommodation: Meadowbank Homestead at Awaroa
Meals included: lunch, afternoon tea, dinner
Early times apply to Wednesday departures and all trips during our shoulder season (before December 20 and after 31 March)
Pick up in Nelson: from 10.15am (from 7.00am)
Pick in Motueka: from 11.15am (from 8.15 am)
If you are self-driving please meet at our office by 11.30am (8.20am)
11.30 (8.20)am: Meet at our Motueka office to pick up track notes, discuss tidal conditions, check your trip details, and leave excess luggage and valuables in safe storage.
12.15pm (8.50am): Coach departs for Kaiteriteri. If you have your own car, follow the coach to safe off-street parking.
1pm (9.20am): Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri.
2.40pm (11.20am): Arrive Totaranui to start your run. At the Awaroa inlet, either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanse of the largest inlet on the coast.
5pm (approx.): Enjoy a warm welcome at Meadowbank Homestead at Awaroa, right on the edge of the inlet. Freshen up with a hot shower in your ensuite room while your hosts prepare a delicious evening meal. Local beer and wine is available for purchase at our in-house bar.
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
Wake to breakfast overlooking Meadowbank’s gardens and the waters of Abel Tasman’s largest tidal estuary. Your run today follows the coastal track through cool native forest and reaches golden sand beaches, perfect for swimming. Choose how much running you want to do; your hosts will arrange boat transfers if required.
Run in 3 sections
1. Awaroa to Onetahuti and Tonga Quarry –8km (5 miles); maximum elevation 85m (280ft)
2. Tonga Quarry to Bark Bay (Medlands Beach) – 5km (3 miles); maximum elevation 120m (400ft)
3. Bark Bay to Torrent Bay – 7km (4.4 miles); maximum elevation 105m (340ft)
If you want more running, your hosts will have details and maps for trails around the Torrent Bay inlet
Accommodation: Torrent Bay Lodge
Meals included: breakfast, morning & afternoon tea, lunch, dinner
Day 3: Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri/Motueka/Nelson
Wake up to morning light on the golden sands of Torrent Bay and perhaps a coffee on the deck before breakfast. Today’s run can follow the easiest section of the coastal track from Torrent Bay to Marahau, with panoramic views across Tasman Bay to Nelson. For more of a challenge, run the inland track from Torrent Bay to Marahau.
Main coastal track: 13– 6km (8–10 miles); maximum elevation 110m (360ft)
Inland Track via Holyoake Clearing: 25 kms (15 miles); elevation 590m (1,900ft)
Scenic drive from Kaiteriteri – 20 mins to Motueka or 1 hour to Nelson
Meals included: breakfast & lunch
4pm: Arrive Motueka
5.30–6pm: Arrive Nelson.
- Please confirm times with us before you book connecting airline flights.
- The direction of this trip may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up in Nelson (7.15–7.40am) and Motueka (8.15am) for Vista Cruise departure from Kaiteriteri at 9.20am.
- The earlier pick-up applies to most Wednesday departures and all departures after NZ Daylight Saving ends at the beginning of April.
- If Start/Finish times don't suit your itinerary, please contact us to make alternative arrangements. All our itineraries can be flexible to accommodate your needs or schedule.
Other important information
- We reserve the right to alter itineraries, timetables and vessel types.
- All travel is subject to weather and tides which may cause delay or cancellation.
This itinerary is sometimes reversed. Please go to Northbound Itinerary for details of the walking option that can be altered to include trail running.