The closest airport to Abel Tasman National Park is Nelson. Our boats depart from Kaiteriteri, a minimum 1 hour 15 min drive from Nelson.
If you are travelling by ferry from the North Island to Picton, there is not enough to time to drive to Abel Tasman National Park for a morning departure.
Abel Tasman National Park is located at the top of the South Island of New Zealand. The park includes parts of the Tasman Bays coast and Golden Bay coast.
Access to the park is from Wainui (via Takaka) in Golden Bay or from Marahau (via Nelson or Motueka) in Tasman Bay.
Boat access into Abel Tasman National Park is from Kaiteriteri or Marahau. Commercial boat operators are not permitted to land north of Totaranui in Tasman Bay.
Please note these are minimum recommended times. Holiday traffic and road works can cause delays. Google Maps tend to underestimate driving times at the top of the South Island.
- Christchurch to Nelson (or Motueka) via Murchison on Highway 6:
- 5 hours (5 hours 15 mins)
- Christchurch to Nelson (or Motueka) via Kaikoura and Blenheim on the east coast:
5 hrs 40 min (6 hrs 40 min)
- Westport to Nelson or Motueka
- Picton to Nelson (Motueka)
2 hours (2 hours 45 mins)
- Nelson to Motueka 45 minutes
- Nelson to Kaiteriteri 1 hour 15 minutes