We recommend a small day pack, with the following items:
- Extra clothing. New Zealand weather is renowned for providing four seasons in one day so quick-dry thermal fabrics are best
- Sun protection. A hat, sunglasses and sunscreen are essential in all weather. We enjoy the highest number of sunshine hours in the country. Our clear skies with no pollution result in a very high risk of sunburn, even on cloudy days
- Insect repellent
- Waterproof jacket with hood
- Swimwear and towel (optional)
- Drinking water
- Lunch. If it has not been ordered the day before you travel, please bring your own
- Camera. Remember to check the batteries!
- Hand sanitiser. No hand wipes or paper tissues/towels please. They create litter and clog the toilet systems.
The coastal track is well formed and walking sticks are not necessary. However, if you have weak leg joints, or poor balance, you might prefer to bring them.
Download/print a full list of what to bring