Do you have what it takes to join our professional team dedicated to showing visitors the best of Abel Tasman National Park with responsible, sustainable and caring service?
SEA KAYAK GUIDES
Our Guides are dedicated to showing visitors the very best of Abel Tasman National Park. Come and share our knowledge gathered over eight generations of experience in the region.
Guiding positions are full time for a fixed term commencing from October 2017 and running to the end of April 2018 on a rolling roster for trips that can be from 2 hours to 5 days duration.
Our half and full day kayak & walk trips depart from Kaiteriteri. As well as brochured products, we also offer privately guided trips tailored to meet our guest’s needs.
Three-day trips stay one night at each of our two Beachfront Lodges. Five-day trips have two nights at each Lodge. Cooks provide meals for both guests and staff. There is full boat back-up for Lodge supplies and luggage transfers. Guests can join any scheduled boat service to reduce walking or kayaking time.
You will need to be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of NZ flora, fauna and history, as well as being customer focused with excellent interpersonal skills. You must be available to work weekends and public holidays and be prepared to work away from home for up to five days at a time.
In addition to kayak guiding, you might also be required to guide walkers. On lodge-based trips, you will have light kitchen duties to perform. This includes all bar and food service. Guides are also responsible for the set up and clean down of all guiding related equipment, including kayaks, at the beginning and end of each day.
Sea Kayak Guide Minimum Requirements:
- A tertiary level qualification in Sea Kayaking.
- Restricted driver’s license as a minimum.
- A valid first aid certificate.
- NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa
- A Coastguard Day Skipper qualification will be an advantage.
If you progress beyond the interview stage, you will be required to undertake a sea kayak skills assessment. You must pass this internal assessment to be considered for employment.
Wilsons Abel Tasman National Park Ltd is committed to providing a safe and healthy work place for its employees and guests. In the interests of health and safety successful applicants will be required to undertake a pre employment drug and alcohol test.
To Apply: Please email your CV and cover letter or questions to our Operations Manager, Shay Gill: email@example.com
ADVENTURE CHEF / COOK
Our Lodge Manager/Chef, Craig Wilson is looking for people with a very special set of skills to assist him host Guests at our Beachfront Lodges within the boundaries of Abel Tasman National Park. He would like to hear from you as soon as possible to ensure he gets the best team to work in this unique environment.
We have two Beachfront Lodges within the boundaries of Abel Tasman National Park: Torrent Bay Lodge and Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa. Each lodge has 14 twin/double ensuite guest rooms plus staff quarters.
You will live in the National Park four nights per week on a rolling roster, including weekends and public holidays.
- Qualified chef or previous experience in a small kitchen
- Food handling certificate
- Bar Manager’s certificate
- First Aid certificate
- Driver’s License
- Basic computer knowledge
- Fluent English speaker
- Available to work weekends and public holidays
- Work Visa valid to May 2019
ADDITIONAL SKILLS (preferred but not essential)
- Ability to operate small boats with outboard motor. Tractor and quad bike experience, and backing trailers (on-job training available)
- Basic building and maintenance experience
- Experience in a Hotel work place
- Sound knowledge of cleaning methods, environmentally friendly cleaning chemical types and uses on various surfaces.
- A second language
- Cook and serve three meals per day for a set menu, including special diet options. Menus are designed Craig Wilson.
- Host visitors with a wide range of nationalities, ages and abilities.
- Co-ordinate food and beverage stock-taking and orders with scheduled boat service
- Maintain cleanliness of guest rooms and communal areas to a very high standard whilst ensuring minimum disturbance to guests. You will have a Lodge Operations Assistant and daily/weekly/monthly check sheets to facilitate this.
- Co-ordinate and work with your team mates: Lodge Operations assistant, Reservations Team (based in Motueka), Boat Crew and Guides.
Full training will be given over a 2 week period.
To Apply: Please send your CV to Craig Wilson Craig@AbelTasman.co.nz and tell us why you want to join us. As we need a great team to work in this amazing environment we want to meet you as soon as possible. Applications are open until 30 September 2018 or until we find our ideal work-mates.