Bark Bay Falls Swing Bridge (Trip #2)
Medlands Beach nestles in lush native forest, a 10 minute stroll from Bark Bay and the waterfall trail.
- Availability: All year
- Best For: Beach, bush and waterfalls
- Cruise: Kaiteriteri - Medlands 1 hour each way
- Walk: 10 mins to Bark Bay. 2 hrs Waterfall Trail
- Start: 9.20am (all year) 10.30 am,1pm (high season)
- Finish: 4.10 (all year) 12.55 or 6pm (high season)
- Cost: From $71 per adult
Cruise to Medlands Beach in the heart of the Park, then relax or take a walk to Bark Bay (10 minutes) and further along the Waterfall Trail to the new Swing Bridge.
Extended Cruise Option: (available 20 October to 18 April) Cruise all the way to Totaranui, pausing to see the seals in Tonga Island Marine Reserve, then return to Medlands Beach. Cost: from $83 per adult
Both Medlands Beach and Bark Bay beaches offer you the choices:
- Relax in the sun.
- Find a shady picnic spot.
- Stroll along the sand.
- Swim in the calm, azure waters.
If you are feeling energetic,
- Walk the forested track around Bark Bay Inlet to see Bark Bay Falls and Swing Bridge. 4 kms (2.5 miles), approx. 1 hr return.
- Walk to the impressively high Swing Bridge over Falls River, then return to Medlands Beach. 5 kms (3 miles) approx 1.5 hrs return
There is a containment toilet at Medlands Beach. Facilities at Bark Bay include Dept. of Conservation shelter, flush toilets, picnic tables and filtered drinking water (look for the tap labelled "drinking water only").
*PREPAY online or by phone at least 2 hours before sailing to SAVE $3 PER ADULT ($1.50 per child) off price displayed in booking table.
Terms and Conditions
Departures: 20 October to 31 March
Depart Kaiteriteri 9.20, *10.30am or 1.00pm
Arrive Medlands 10.20, 11.30am or 1.50pm
Pickup Medlands 12.00, 1.10, 3.10 or *5.05pm
Return Kaiteriteri 12.55, 4.15 or *6.00pm
*No bus connection with later pickup.
*Shoulder Season (1-19 October and 1-30 April) no 6.00 pm pickup..
Departures: 1 May to 19 October
Depart Kaiteriteri 9.20am
Arrive Medlands 10.20am
Pickup Medlands 3.10pm
Return Kaiteriteri 4.15pm