Custom Walk Itineraries
Our scheduled departures are designed to give you the best experience. Start and finish times can be altered to suit your itinerary.
- Availability: If you are short of time, we can join you into one of our scheduled departures.
- Cost: 1-Night Walking Break or Lodge Stay $855. 2-Night Walking Break or Lodge Stay $1470
To feel revived and inspired, please join us for a minimum of two nights at our Beachfront Lodges.
All scheduled trips (except Wednesday) during the High and Shoulder Seasons (1 October - 30 April) can include pick up at Nelson Airport on the day of departure, before 10.00am. All trips (year-round) return to Nelson by 5.30 pm. We recommend booking ongoing flights from Nelson with departure after 6.30 pm.
Please check availability and start/finish times before booking connecting travel as times are subject to change.
A private land taxi charter (extra cost) will take approximately 1 hour for transfer from Nelson to Kaiteriteri.
Our Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri at 1.00 pm at the start of each trip (1 October - 30 April). Later departure from Kaiteriteri will require a private water taxi charter (extra cost).
For no extra charge:
- Return to Kaiteriteri on the Vista Cruise in time to join the coach to Nelson, arriving at Nelson Airport 2.30 pm or Nelson City 2.45 pm.
- Catch a Water Taxi to return to Kaiteriteri at 10.30 am (no coach connection). We can arrange for your car to be stored at Kaiteriteri.
- Private land taxi charter to return to Nelson if coach connections are not suitable.
- Private water taxi charter to return to Kaiteirteri earlier that 10.30 am
If you are short of time, and can only spend one night with us, we can include you for one night on one of our multi-day trips, subject to availability at our Lodges. Our scheduled trips have priority booking, so during the High Season (November through to March), overnight trips are booked on a stand-by basis, to be confirmed 5 days prior to departure.
Please click the Itinerary Tab (above) for a suggested one-night/2-day stay at Meadowbank Homestead At Awaroa.
Suggested 1 Night/2-Day Itinerary
Departure days: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun
Day 1 Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
Includes Morning Tea, Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri from Nelson – 1 hour 30 minutes or from Motueka 20 minutes
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1 hour 30 minutes
Walk * 2 hours 30 minutes (7 kms, 4.5 miles) including tidal crossing. Maximum elevation 100 metres (340 ft)
- Coach pick up from Nelson (10.15 – 10.30 am) or Motueka (11.15 am) or if you are self driving meet at our office by 11.30 am.
- Meet your Guide at our Motueka office for a tour briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 1.00 pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a fast, safe, comfortable cruise along the National Park coastline. Hot & cold drinks, open & enclosed viewing decks, bathroom facilities on board.
- From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa. Either walk if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- Around 5 pm: Welcome to Meadowbank Homestead At Awaroa, a faithful re-creation of the Wilson family’s original home on the finest site in the bay.
Day 2 Awaroa to Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) to Motueka / Nelson
Includes Breakfast, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Lunch
Walk: Optional, up to *5 hours (10 kms, 6.2 miles) Max elevation 120 m (400 ft)
Scenic Drive Kaiteriteri to Motueka (20 minutes) or Nelson (1 hour 30 minutes)
- 9 am (approx.) leave Awaroa to enjoy a morning walking through native forest with magnificent coastal views, then walk along the golden sands of Onetahuti Beach.
- Continue on to explore the historic sites and picturesque golden cove of Tonga Quarry beach.
- From Tonga Quarry, walk over a forested saddle and around the Waterfall Trail to Bark Bay
- Midday, stop for lunch at Bark Bay, taking time out to relax, explore, swim or sunbathe on the golden sands.
- 3 pm. Board our Vista Catamaran at Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) and return to Kaiteriteri.
- Our Coach meets you at Kaiteriteri to return to Motueka (4.30pm) or Nelson (5.30pm)
*Walking times are approximate
Important Additional Information:
This itinerary is only a suggestion. The direction of our trips may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up times in Nelson and Motueka. Your overnight stay could be at Torrent Bay Lodge.