Custom Kayak & Walk Itineraries
Our scheduled departures are designed to give you the best experience. Start and finish times can be altered to suit your itinerary.
- Availability: If you are short of time, we can join you into a scheduled trip departure
- Cost: 1-night Kayak & Walk $900. 2-Night Kayak & Walk $1595
To feel revived and inspired, please join us for a minimum of two nights at our Beachfront Lodges.
All scheduled trips (except Wednesday) during the High and Shoulder Seasons (1 October - 30 April) can include pick up at Nelson Airport on the day of departure, before 10.00am. All trips (year-round) return to Nelson by 5.30 pm. We recommend booking ongoing flights from Nelson with departure after 6.30 pm.
Please check availability and start/finish times before booking connecting travel as times are subject to change.
A private land taxi charter (extra cost) will take approximately 1 hour for transfer from Nelson to Kaiteriteri.
Our Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri at 1.00 pm at the start of each trip (1 October - 30 April). Later departure from Kaiteriteri will require a private water taxi charter (extra cost).
For no extra charge:
- Return to Kaiteriteri on the Vista Cruise in time to join the coach to Nelson, arriving at Nelson Airport 2.30 pm or Nelson City 2.45 pm.
- Catch a Water Taxi to return to Kaiteriteri at 10.30 am (no coach connection). We can arrange for your car to be stored at Kaiteriteri.
- Private land taxi charter to return to Nelson if coach connections are not suitable.
- Private water taxi charter to return to Kaiteirteri earlier that 10.30 am
If you are short of time, and can only spend one night with us, we can include you for one night on one of our multi-day trips, subject to availability at our Lodges. Our scheduled trips have priority booking, so during the High Season (November through to March), overnight trips are booked on a stand-by basis, to be confirmed 5 days prior to departure.
Please click the Itinerary Tab (above) for a suggested one-night/2-day stay at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa.
Suggested 1 Night/2-Day Itinerary
Departure days: Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun
Day 1: Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
All aboard our Vista Cruise vessel! As we cruise from Kaiteriteri at the southern tip of the Park, north to Totaranui we echo the contours of the spectacular Abel Tasman coastline. Relax on the upper or lower viewing decks and enjoy a hot drink from the cafe. From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the breathtaking expanse of the Awaroa inlet. Here, a warm kiwi welcome awaits you at Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa, a faithful re-creation of the Wilson family's original home on the "finest site in the bay".
- **Pick up Nelson (10.15 - 10.45 am) or Motueka (11.30 am) or if you are self driving please meet at our office by 11.30 am.
- Meet your guide at our Motueka office for a welcome briefing with time for last-minute luggage organisation, before departing to Kaiteriteri by coach.
- 1.00 pm: Vista Cruise departs Kaiteriteri for a fast, safe, comfortable cruise along the National Park coastline. Hot & cold drinks, open and enclosed viewing decks and bathroom facilities on board.
- From Totaranui, walk through mature beech and rata forests, and along secluded golden beaches to the tidal inlet at Awaroa.
- Either walk, if the tide is out, or take a boat ride across the stunning expanses of the largest inlet on the coast.
- At Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa, right on the edge of the inlet, you’ll be welcomed with pre-dinner drinks and fine food. Here you’ll find comfortable accommodation full of history and kiwi charm.
Scenic drive to Kaiteriteri from Nelson (1 hour) or Motueka (20 mins)
Cruise Kaiteriteri to Totaranui – 1.5 hours
Walk - 2.5 hours (7 kms, 4.5 miles) including tidal crossing
Meals included: Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
Day 2: Awaroa to Torrent Bay and return to Nelson
Wake and enjoy your choice of home-cooked breakfast overlooking Meadowbank Homestead gardens but the sea. Walk the coastal track shaded by dense native forest to a sheltered beach and join a guided Sea Kayak trip to explore Tonga Island Marine Reserve. Your guide settles you into our stable double kayaks with full training and safety brief so don’t worry! You won’t leave the beach until your guide is satisfied you can enjoy a safe paddling experience.
- Around 9.00 am depart Meadowbank Homestead for your walk to the golden expanse of Onetahuti beach.
- From Onetahuti in the heart of Tonga Island Marine Reserve, paddle to view the antics of its resident Fur Seal colony (weather permitting).
- Paddle past Tonga Quarry and the Tonga Arches, where your guide will entertain you with amusing stories on the history and natural features of this fascinating area.
- We’ll stop for lunch at sheltered Bark Bay, where you can take time out to explore, swim or relax on the golden sand.
- After lunch, we’ll hop back into our kayaks and continue our wonderful beach hopping journey along the coast. Along the way there are plenty more points of interest to punctuate the picture-postcard views, including the Falls River and Frenchman’s Bay.
- At Torrent Bay, there’s time to freshen up before you board our Vista Cruise vessel once again at 4.45 pm to return to Kaiteriteri where you connecting coach awaits to return you to Nelson by 5.30 - 6.00 pm.**
Walk Awaora to Onetahuti 1.5 hours (5 kms)
Sea Kayak Onetahuti to Torrent Bay 4 hours (10 kms)
Cruise Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri 1 hour
Bus from Kaiteriteri - to Nelson 1 hour 30 mins, to Motueka 20 mins
Meals Included: Breakfast, morning tea and lunch
Important Additional Information:
This itinerary is only a suggestion. The direction of our trips may be reversed on some departures with earlier pick up times in Nelson and Motueka. Your overnight stay could be at Torrent Bay Lodge with two days of sea kayaking and less walking time.